The Museum Confidential exhibition at Philbrook Museum of Art, which closes May 6th, has done some remarkable things. It has allowed visitors to view an unprecedented number of never-before-seen works. It has given guests an opportunity to play curator, choosing art pieces they’d like to see displayed in the gallery. Oh…and it's also launched a very cool new podcast. Museum Confidential: The Podcast just recently posted the 15th and final episode of its first season. (Access all 15 episodes HERE.)
Co-created by Philbrook’s Jeff Martin and Public Radio Tulsa Producer Scott Gregory, this podcast aims -- much like the exhibit that originated it -- to peek behind the proverbial curtains of the world of museums. It's a casual yet informed inquiry into today's museum-going experience, offering conversations with curators, artists, writers, scholars, film critics, gallery owners, and more. It’s also a tangent-filled, ear-grabbing exploration of anything that wasn't covered in your Art History 101 class but maybe should've been.
Some of our favorite episodes from Season 1? Glad you asked.
· Part 2: The Price of Fine Art: Profiling horror-film mainstay Vincent Price, who also was an avid art collector
· Part 4: The Art of the Playlist: Offering an extended "listening party" on the many-faceted theme of art/artists/museums/muses/creativity
· Part 7: The Forgotten Man: Depicting the life of an active yet little-remembered Vanity Fair photographer who died in 1938 at age 30
· Part 11: The Right to Fail: Telling the story of the Boston-based Museum of Bad Art (yes, it's a real place)
· And finally, the just-posted Part 15: Museum Mail Bag, which answers questions from museum patrons near and far, and places a recap-minded and somewhat zany "exclamation point" on Season One.
Be sure to listen for Season Two of the Museum Confidential podcast, arriving in September 2018! Jeff and Scott are planning forthcoming episodes; they're hoping to cover more topics (and interview more guests!) of a national or international stature. See you then!