Broken Arrow residents will soon have curbside recycling. City Manager Michael Spurgeon says getting it started and the community educated about the service will take a bit.
He doesn't believe the service will start until mid-2020.Spurgeon says carts have to be ordered and routes planned out. He says the trucks will need to be retrofitted before the service can begin.
He also wants an community education program to head-off any problems.
The approved recommendation includes:
· Converting the entire City to once per week collection via rerouting
· Issuing all customers a 96-gallon blue recycling cart with the option to opt-out
· Issuing all customers a black refuse cart with multiple size options
· Implementing a walk-up service for disabled and elderly customers
· Discontinuation of the City-provided trash bag program
· Replenishing the City’s sanitation fleet with automated trucks for collecting recyclables